Fuel Tank


Fuel Tank - Major Assignment 

To commence our major assignment, we were presented with two types of fuel tanks that as a group we were to replicate a 1:1 scale. As a group, we choose the peanut fuel tank that we were going to complete rather than the other fuel tank which required extra work with dips, curves and bends within the tank. As we opted for the peanut fuel tank, we started to measure the tank for actual dimensions, so that when we use Auto Desk Slicer to create the 3D model, we can get it to that 1:1 scale. Once we created the template on Auto Desk Slicer, we were required to use the laser cutting machine to cut the templates. Slowly, the laser cutter separated our fuel tank into 24 pieces, which we had to assemble carefully, however even though it was fully assembled, it still felt wobbly. To rectify this, we asked Gabe for access to the hot glue gun and started to spread it on the edges and corners of the template. After two minutes, the template began to become sturdy which enabled us to begin forming / shaping the way we would separate the three parts of the fuel tank. 

Auto Desk Slicer: 3D Model Rear View
Auto Desk Slicer: 3D Model Front View
Laser Cutting Machine Cutting Templates Out
Templates Assembled
Hot Glue Gun to make template sturdy
There were many ideas and opinions from the group members on how to cut the three sections of the fuel tank. The first opinion was to cut the cross section of the fuel tank into three parts, as the reasoning for this is the person who was to shape the back had a better idea of hitting both sides however, we didn’t account for the curve and shaping in which that one person who must complete. Fortunately, Daniel came over and advised us that the best method of shaping this fuel tank was to separate the top and sides from each other. Therefore, we broke the sides with the back and cut it from half between the top and side, as this will be the most effective method splitting the work between three as it will enable all members to make as little curves to the edges as possible, thus making it easier to properly shape our peanut fuel tank.

Once we agreed on the method of attacking this fuel tank, we got paper to trace our two sides and top of the fuel tank. Then we simply traced our paper shapes onto the metal sheet. We cut the shapes 1mm from the lines of the shape as this will give us some space for error, so that we can get as closely as possible to the line without taking off the shape, as we were keeping in mind of the 1:1 scale that we had to achieve for this assignment. 

Paper Shapes to Metal Sheet
Transferring shapes to Metal Sheet
Cutting the Shape from the Metal Sheet
I had completed the right-hand side of the fuel tank, so I started to shape my sheet metal by curving it with my hands around our template, so I can create my bend. I marked out around the edges of the template and the corner area with circles (like we did in the bowl exercise), so that I knew what room I had to achieve the curve to the top of the fuel tank. One I completed that, I used the English wheel to stretch out the back, however later did I realised this only created a problem for myself as I stretched my back to far away from the template. To resolve this issue, I had to shrink the sheet metal around the curve and back of the fuel tank, which in the end fixed the shape of my side, but left teeth marks on the bottom of the tank, which I tried to mask with the plenishing hammer.

Art of Stretching: English Wheel
Shaping Edges
Nearly have the shape

After the shape of my side was completed, I had to curve the edges of the sheet metal to the top of the peanut fuel tank. I used the dolly and nylon mallet to shape my edges with the line I had drew earlier. I had to curve it less on the low parts of the tank, then the high and back part of the peanut fuel tank. Once the shape was right, we joined all pieces together, however it didn't sit right, so we decided to cut off the bottom of the sides, so that it would sit right with the top (with a bit of chiseling as well) . The end results is as per the pictures below.
My Side of the Fuel Tank
Fuel Tank as a Whole
Side of the Fuel Tank with the Top

Really enjoyed this component of the subject.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Reflection

The Blister